Cake decorators use airbrush kits to elevate their culinary confections. Whether you’re hoping to spritz on solid colors or scribble intricate designs, this is one cake decorating tool that you need in your arsenal. We’ve brought you our top airbrush kit picks of 2020.
- The Best Chocolate Tempering Machine – Consumer Reports for 2020
- The Best Electric Wine Bottle Opener – Consumer Reports for 2020
- The Best Manual Crank Dough Sheeter – Consumer Reports for 2020
- The Best Double Induction Cooktop – Consumer Reports for 2020
- The Best Electric Wok – Consumer Reports for 2020
U.S. Cake Supply’s comprehensive airbrush kit comes with everything a DIY pastry chef needs to create gorgeous edible masterpieces. Customers receive 12 vibrant airbrush colors, a single-action airbrush, a 0.4-millimeter precision tip, and a 1/16-ounce dye gravity feed dye cup. You just add a few drops of color to the bowl on the top of the airbrush, power up the compressor, and pull the trigger. Even the most inexperienced cake decorators will find it easy to create high-quality, customized baked goods with this handy little airbrush in their arsenal.
If you take the time to adjust your airbrush gun and compressor before each session, you shouldn’t have any issues. With that said, this little airbrush tends to create splatter. We highly recommend that you fortify your cake decorating station with a splash guard or some other makeshift buffer. Keep in mind that the included dyes are exceptionally vivid and concentrated. They should last you a good amount of time if you aren’t producing cakes at a commercial level.
This U.S. Supply Airbrush is perfect for covering large surfaces. Given the fact that the spray pattern cannot be adjusted while the pen is in use, this is not our top pick for detail work. The brush does offer three unique airflow settings. You just need to pause the machine before making any adjustments to the settings.
The kit’s 6-foot hose gives users the freedom to maneuver around large tables without feeling too tethered. The included airbrush decorating guide makes it easy for culinary artists to unleash their imagination. Since the airbrush is backed by a 100% lifetime guarantee, this is essentially a risk-free purchase.
- The airbrush kit includes 12 vivid airbrush colors and a 6-foot compressor hose.
- The stainless steel compressor and airbrush gun are built to last a lifetime.
- This is a gravity-fed, single-action setup with a precision tip.
- Blend, shade, write, or use stencils; there’s no limit to the things you can create with the U.S. Cake Supply’s airbrush.
- It’s backed by a 100% lifetime guarantee.
- It comes with a small instructional booklet.
- The small, ergonomic airbrush guns feature an easy-release trigger control.
- The pen creates a lot of excess splatter.
The Master Airbrush Cake Decorating Set includes a powerful dual-action airbrush, an air compressor, a storage box, and four Chefmaster food dyes. This set is suitable for both residential and industrial use. The dual-action airbrush gun’s solid stainless steel construction ensures that it will last a lifetime. We love that this gun enables users to adjust the airflow rate without having to release the trigger.
The kit comes in a durable plastic storage case. You also receive a quick-release valve and a spanner, should you need to take anything apart. The included hose is long enough that you will not feel tethered to one side of your workstations. The complimentary airbrush colors are incredibly vibrant and true to their descriptions. If you’re new to airbrushing, you’ll be happy to find that there are all sorts of tips and tricks in the including instructional manual.
This is an excellent model for anyone who’s looking to upgrade their current cake decorating setup. The dual-action setup offers unmatched precision. Given its high price and fairly complicated controls, we think it would be most useful to individuals who already have some airbrushing experience under their belt.
- The set includes a plastic compressor with an emergency off/restart button.
- It comes with four high-quality Chefmaster food dyes (0.7-ounce bottles)
- A stainless steel gravity-fed dual-action airbrush allows you to spray your cakes with precision.
- The set includes a quick-release valve and a spanner
- The 6-foot hose won’t keep you anchored in one corner of your kitchen.
- It’s durable enough to serve the hard blows of industrial kitchens but user-friendly enough for beginners
- You get a durable plastic storage case with your purchase.
- Customers struggled to cash in the product’s 100% lifetime guarantee.
The Cool Runner II is a heavy-duty airbrush that’s perfect for professional cake decorators. It comes with a fan-equipped air compressor, 12 Chefmaster food colors, and a detailed how-to guide. The arsenal includes three airbrush guns, including a trigger-style gravity feed airbrush with a 0.3-millimeter tip with a 3/4-ounce gravity cup and a single-action siphon feed airbrush with a 0.8-millimeter tip and a 2 2/4-ounce feed cup.
The included Chefmaster airbrush colors are vivid and concentrated. The how-to guide offers an excellent array of airbrush tips and tricks. Two internal fans extend the lifespan of the motor windings while helping the machine to operate at a reasonably quiet 59-decibel volume. We love that the system automatically shuts off when the pressure exceeds 57 psi. It’s no wonder this system is the preferred option of many seasoned cake decorators. This airbrush gun’s intricate spray will have your sweet treats looking even more fantastic.
We love that this kit provides users with multiple applicators. Given the intensity and speed of this airbrush, we think it’s safe to say that this recommendation is only a good fit for well-experienced, professional cake decorators. The airbrushes and feeds are easy to clean. They enable users to explore all the angles of their imagination. When you’re not busy painting cakes, you can use this little airbrush as a temporary tattoo applicator.
- Includes 12 0.7-ounce Chefmaster food colors and a comprehensive cake and cookie decorating guide
- Trigger-style gravity feed airbrush with a 0.30-millimeter tip and a 3/4-ounce gravity fluid cup
- Dual fan air compressor with a cool blue chassis
- Single-action siphon feed airbrush with 0.8-millimeter tip and 2 2/4-ounce siphon bottle
- Highly concentrated colors for more accurate, even coverage
Watson and Webb’s mini airbrush set is the perfect pick for newbie cake decorators. The kit includes a compact air compressor, an airbrush gun, a 4-millimeter stay-clean needle, and eight Watson and Webb airbrush colors. It’s an excellent option for cakes, gum pastes, sugar pastes, and fondants.
Electronic speed control allows users to put out air with less sputtering and inconsistency. Meanwhile, washable air filters stop excess airbrush spray from seeping into the machine’s motor. The machine’s integrated airbrush holder enables users to engage in hands-free mixing. Plus, there’s no better place to rest an airbrush between applications.
You can use your colors or the ones provided. The Watson and Webb collection is incredibly vivid and easy to mix. You get enough colors to finish several full-sized projects.
The Watson and Webb set’s single-action trigger enables users to control the flow of their colors. A 2-millimeter airflow nozzle prevents the air pressure from going above 15 psi. Naturally, this results in quieter, more controlled decorating sessions. The airbrush is made from solid stainless steel. Meanwhile, the compressor is constructed of stain-resistant acrylic. The pieces are compact and durable. They’re perfectly suitable for travel.
- This included color set includes a vast array of hues. As a result, you can spend more time spraying and less time mixing.
- It comes with a 4-millimeter pin.
- The air compressor features three speed settings and an easy to toggle trigger control.
- This set includes everything you will ever need to create spectacular cake and pastry designs.
- The air compressor can produce up to 15 psi of air pressure.
- Some users were displeased with the consistency of the included airbrush colors.
The Hobbycor Manual Airbrush is perfect for small and occasional airbrush applications. This handy pump tool requires no electricity. Still, it allows you to channel enough air pressure to paint cakes and glitter cookies. The airbrush comes with four reusable reservoirs. These attach to the airbrush with the help of a reliable interlock system. A rubber O ring keeps the brush and reservoirs from leaking.
There are ample online tutorials on how to paint a cake with the Hobbycor airbrush. The pump-fed air compressor struggles with think glitters. Though, it does a great job of distributing pearly dust and fine shimmer.
Consumers say that they were surprised by the intensity and precision of their Hobbycor applicators. While the handheld airbrush would never hold up in a commercial setting, it is perfectly suitable for home bakers. In fact, this simple mechanism will completely alter the presentation of your baked creations. It is one of our favorite picks for young cake decorating enthusiasts.
- This little manual airbrush is ideal for small-scale airbrush color applications.
- It makes it easy for bakers to apply large patches of color or glitter.
- It includes a pump and four refillable dye reservoirs.
- An interlock system keeps the reservoirs from leaking.
- The plastic-on-rubber seal further eliminates leakage.
- This little applicator is not a good option for high-output commercial kitchens.
Gocherer’s mini airbrush set is the perfect addition to any professional kitchen. This food-safe decorating tool boasts a dual-action airbrush pen and a gravity feed. It comes with a complete line of airbrushing accessories, including a small yet mighty air compressor.
The Gocheer’s dual-action control allows users to simultaneously change the width and opacity of their color applications. The wide-mouthed color feed allows for easy refills and even easier cleaning. The set comes with a full lineup of cleaning brushes, an air filter, and a dropper. You shouldn’t find yourself rushing out to the nearest kitchen specialty store.
We found the airbrush easy to use and maintain. The pieces come apart easily, making stubborn clogs or blockages unlikely. On a side note, the air compressor does tend to shift around when it is in full swing. Still, the machine is quiet and consistent. It maxes out at roughly 25 psi.
The Gocheer Airbrush enabled us to blend colors, write text, and apply stencils. The high-capacity gravity feed eliminated the need for constant refills.
- This comprehensive airbrush set comes with a full lineup of complementary accessories.
- This particular airbrush set is widely used in the cake decorating industry.
- It boasts a maximum air pressure of 25 psi.
- The dual-action control allows users to have full control over their output.
- Users can enjoy 30 minutes of continuous use.
- Since the sprayer does not have built-in overheat protection, users must turn it off between uses.
This cordless airbrush, compressor combo is another one of our favorites. The petite machine features a handheld air compressor, an attached airbrush pen, and a gravity feed. An overhead trigger allows users to easily adjust the gun’s air pressure.
We love that the handheld airbrush compressor’s ergonomic curves make it easy to grip for long periods. The little machine pushes 17 psi. It works best with slightly diluted airbrush colors. A small knob enables users to control the flow of their paint.
We love that this machine makes it so that you don’t have to cope with any hoses or cords. However, the limited battery life can be a bit of a hangup.
- This battery-powered, cordless airbrush is perfect for cake decorating.
- The air compressor’s ergonomic grip makes for more comfortable, less slippery airbrush applications.
- Since this is a single-action airbrush, you can only control the air pressure using the switch on the compressor.
- It has a cooking show-worthy aesthetic.
- We love that we can take this anywhere!
- The cordless airbrush has a limited battery life and a lengthy recharging window.
The Master Bakery Airbrush set is yet another reliable frontrunner. This kit comes with three airbrushes, two air hoses, an air compressor, and 12 0.7-ounce Chefmaster food colors. However, the airbrush works well with just about any airbrush-compatible paint.
We recommend this pick to DIY bakers and cake decorating professionals. You can freehand and stencil designs with absolute precision. Since the pack comes with three airbrushes, you can switch colors rapidly. You might even consider using this kit to teach an aspiring cake decorator.
- This is a comprehensive airbrush set with all the essential accessories.
- Power dual-action airbrushes with various feed options.
- The set includes 12 Chefmaster colors.
- It comes with two 6-foot braided air hoses and ⅛-inch fittings.
- It includes a How to Airbrush ARC link card.
- Reports of faulty pressure gauges
This little cordless airbrush is perfect for cake decorators who are sick of dragging a wire over their designs. The gadget has a single-trigger control and an overhead gravity feed. A conveniently placed battery level indicator bar lets you know when it is time for a recharge.
We love the gadget’s sleek powder-coated exterior and exposed stainless steel elements. It has a curved design that is easy to grip. A single charge offers users 30 to 50 minutes of wireless usage. The 20-milliliter feed cup will help you eliminate unnecessary interruptions. As a result, you’ll spend more time perfecting your cake designs.
We love that this little airbrush is compatible with other brand airbrushes. Anything with an ⅛-inch male thread should fit just fine. This unit is compact enough to take on the go. It makes a wonderful gift for aspiring culinary artists.
- The dual-action airbrush doesn’t boast an on button.
- An overhead gravity feed offers exceptional air pressure.
- The handheld air compressor is connected to the airbrush.
- This little handheld device offers users exceptional control and precision.
- It will help you upgrade your cakes and cookies.
Last but certainly not least, we have the lovely and portable Snefe Airbrush Set. This all-in-one mini airbrush is fully rechargeable and 100% wireless. You’ll never feel tethered to the workbench again.
The portable gadget consists of a compressor beneath a gravity-feed airbrush. The airbrush produces a steady stream with fine atomization. It boasts a high-capacity dye cup and a 500-mAh lithium battery. One charge is good for approximately 40 minutes of continuous spraying. The airbrush produces a max air pressure of psi. It is capable of dispensing anywhere from 7 to 7 ½ liters of dye per minute.
The Snefe airbrush is available in three fun colors, including pink, red, and black. It comes with a USB charging cable, a nozzle wrench, and a dropper. It does not come with any airbrush colors.
Users say that the Snefe Airbrush offers unmatched freedom. The gun holds up well so long it is recharged regularly. Moreover, the airbrush’s output compares to that of much pricier, more professional models.
- It’s suitable for everything from cake decorating to tattooing.
- It produces a fine atomized spray that’s perfect for detail work.
- It charges via USB.
- It’s lightweight, portable, and easy to manipulate
- It comes with a 0.3-millimeter needle for precision applications
- It does not come with any airbrush colors.
- Some users may not find the battery life to be sufficient.
How to Choose the Best Airbrush Set for Cake Decorating
Whether you are an overly enthusiastic home cook or a professional pastry chef, here’s what you need to know before you shop around for a kitchen-ready airbrush.
Most cake decorating airbrushes feature gravity feeds. Gravity feed airbrush kits come with a small dye cup that attaches to the top of the airbrush. Small amounts of dye are pulled into the gun. Then, air from the compressor pushes that dye out of the airbrush applicator and onto the surface of a baked good.
The alternative to the gravity feed system is the siphon feed. These airbrush systems come with small dye containers that attach to the bottom of the airbrush guns. While these systems are around, they are more common in the crafting industry. Gravity feeds tend to produce the perfect amount of pressure for fine lines and details.
Single vs. Double Action
Most cake decorating airbrushes boast single or double actions. Single-action airbrushes boast triggers that allow users to control airflow. Meanwhile, double-action airbrushes enable users to dictate air pressure and color opacity. While double-action airbrushes are capable of producing detailed designs, they tend to be challenging for beginners. Even some professional makers might be content with the level of precision offered by single-action airbrushes. Still, users can gain the most control by using a double-action airbrush.
An airbrush set’s other half is an air compressor. It is the air compressor’s job to create enough airflow to distribute even applications of food dye. A quality air compressor should produce an 18- to 25-psi air pressure. You want the option to lower and raise the air pressure to better suit your distribution goal.
Make sure your chosen kit comes with a bundle of complementary accessories. No one wants to get stuck tracking down compressor hoses, applicator tips, feeds, or airbrush colors. The best sets come ready-to-go.
Airbrushes allow cake decorators to embellish their culinary creations with all sorts of intricate and colorful designs. The award for the best airbrush set for cake decorating goes to the U.S. Cake Supply Complete Cake Decorating Airbrush Set . This comprehensive kit comes with all the essential airbrush accessories and then some. Plus, it is ready to go right out of the box.
Are you a fan of airbrushed cakes? As always, drop your comments in the section below. We hope you enjoyed our pick for the best airbrush for cake decorating!