Pizzelle are delicate Italian waffle cookies made from flour, eggs, sugar, and butter. They are usually flavored with anise, vanilla, or lemon. The cookies are generally thin and crispy. They almost always have a light coating of powdered sugar on top. Most of them feature intricate pressed designs that resemble that snowflakes or lace doilies. Pizzelle are a holiday staple for many Italian families. However, you don’t have to be from Abruzzo, Italy (the birthplace of pizzelle) to appreciate the binge-worthiness of these pressed pastries.
- The Best Fermenting Crock – Add Some Variety to Your Meals
- The Best Potato Ricer – Unbiased Reviews
- Top 7 Best Yogurt Makers – Consumer Reports
- The Best Retro Toaster – Buyer’s Guide
- The Best Electric Roaster Oven – Consumer Reports
Do you have what it takes to make homemade pizzelle? It turns out that you only need a few ingredients and a pizzelle iron to make these Italian specialties. We’ve rounded up this year’s top best pizzelle irons in hopes of making your home baking sessions a bit more productive. Check them out!
Imagine yourself in front of stacks of golden-brown cookies. This shiny little electric pizzelle maker won’t let you down! It makes two 5-inch circular cookies at once. With a cast aluminum interior doing all the heating, you can expect your cookies to be crispy, thin, and uniform. In case you were wondering, the cookies peel off easily. Just season the plates before you attempt to make any wafer cookies.
The extra-thick baking plates distribute heat very evenly. As such, there are virtually no hot (or cold) spots on the cooking surface. Moreover, the cookie maker heats up fast. You’ll be up to your ears in Italian cookies in a matter of minutes!
We love the ergonomics of the large handle. The clamshell-like closure comes together easily. Moreover, the appliance’s steam guard does a great job of preventing heat-related injuries. With that said, this outside of this device does become quite hot during lengthy cooking sessions. Users should take proper precautions when making large batches of pizzelle around children and unassuming adults. Many home cooks are more confident using the CucinaPro’s nonstick option. However, most users said that they had no difficulty removing stuck-on particles once their devices were cool.
As a bonus, this appliance comes with a delicious pizzelle recipe. Just one more reason we were quick to name the Cuisinart our best pizzelle maker pick!
- Makes two 5-inch cookies at once
- Polished aluminum exterior and interior
- Easy to use electric appliance
- A delicious pizzelle recipe is included with your purchase
- Steam guard protects the hands as the cookies are pressed
- Extra-thick baking plate for more even distribution of heat
- Beautiful snowflake-like design
- The cord is very short.
- Since the outside of the appliance gets pretty hot, this may not be the best appliance to use in the presence of children.
Are you an inexperienced chef with a longing for Italian delicacies? If so, this petite electric pizzelle press might be right up your alley. The Cuisinart Pizzelle Press has a sparkling brushed stainless steel exterior as well as a nonstick coating. It’s capable of churning out two 4-inch wafer cookies at a time.
Each side of the cooking plate has a unique snowflake design. The press’s ample nooks and crannies make for some highly textured and tasty treats. Users can even dial in their preferred heat settings to get their desired cookie coloring and composition. There are five preset browning settings for chefs to explore.
We love that this appliance features ready-to-bake and ready-to-eat indicator lights. Of course, the nonstick baking plates make for easy food releases. The cooking device comes with an easy-to-follow instruction booklet and a complete recipe book. Cuisinart even throws in a measuring scoop and a wooden rolling dowel. When you’re sick of pizzelle, you can attempt your ice cream cones, pastry cups, or cannoli.
- Bakes two traditional 4-inch pizzelle cookies at once
- Five-setting browning control
- Ready to bake indicator light
- Nonstick lining for easier release from the baking plates
- Comes with detailed instructions and easy-to-follow recipes
- Backed by a 3-year limited warranty
- Includes measuring scoop and rolling dowel
- Limited capacity
- The nonstick finish scratches easily.
The Palmer Pizzelle Press produces two ¼ to ½ inch thick pizzelle cookies at a time. Each cookie is 4-inches in diameter. The clamshell cookie press produces a floral design on one side of the cookie and a waffle pattern on the other. The cast aluminum plates are known to create some of the crispiest cookies out there. Most users agree that the 120-volt, 800-watt appliance produces treats in half the time of traditional stovetop models.
To put it frankly, Palmer makes some of our favorite pizzelle irons. This 120-volt press has a vintage feel with plenty of modern upgrades. For the record, the Palmer presses are manufactured in Newton, Pennsylvania. The company’s high-quality craftsmanship is easy to discern. Not to mention, the product is backed by a generous five-year warranty. Palmer will repair any pizzelle maker that is shipped back to them during the long warranty period. Keep in mind that they do not reimburse you for the cost of shipping.
- Traditional cast aluminum cooking plates
- 120-volt for faster, more efficient cooking sessions
- Made in the U.S.A
- Cute two-sided patterns with plenty of nooks and crannies for powdered sugar and other toppings
- Can be used to make cannoli and other treats
- You must season the cast aluminum coking plates prior to cooking
Do you love pizzelle but don’t want to take on yet another single-use kitchen appliance? Cuisinart’s 200 International Chef Crepe/Pizzelle/Pancake Plus might be the perfect option for you! This adorable countertop press will help you recreate classic foods from around the world. It’s a dynamic setup that easy to use thanks to its adjustable temperature control, preset timer, and indicator lights. The press boasts an 8 1/3-inch cooking surface that doubles when it is opened flat. The removable cooking plates boast two dynamic cooking surfaces. The flat griddles are perfect for crepes, tortillas, blintzes, pancakes, and more. You can reverse them to reveal a three-cookie pizzelle press. The intricately designed Italian cookies look like that from Italian specialty grocery stores.
There’s certainly a lot to love about this versatile countertop appliance. For one, it’s not going to force you into making just one international delicacy. On days that you are not making stacks of Italian wafer cookies, you can use this device as a traditional griddle. It makes excellent bacon, homefries, eggs, and pancakes. The adjustable temperature settings make it easy for you to pull off your role as an early morning short-order cook. When you’re done making treats for your family and friends, you can pop the removable cook plates right into your dishwasher. This appliance is easy to work with from start to finish!
- The 8 1/3-inch cooking surface doubles when this device is opened flat
- Comes with measuring spoon, tongs, and mini ice cream cone roller
- Lid locks shut for easy and space-saving upright storage
- Makes crepes, pizzelle, tortillas, blintzes, pancakes, and much more
- Power-on and ready-to-bake indicator lights
- Adjustable temperature and cooking time controls located on appliance’s front panel
- Reversable nonstick crepe and pizzelle plates are dishwasher safe
- Nonstick surface is easily scratched by metal utensils
- Some hot spots
The VillaWare V3850 Quattro Pizzelle Baker is the ultimate appliance for any pizzelle enthusiast. This device punches our four cookies at a time. Each cookie has an intricate two-sided design with plenty of nooks and crannies. Plus, the cookie molds can also be used to make lovely homemade ice cream cones.
This machine can only be washed by hand. However, you don’t have to worry about any headache-inducing food residue. The nonstick grid releases food with ease. Just wait until it cools to wipe it down with soap and water.
- A decorated four-part grid produces four intricate pizzelle with each press
- Nonstick surface makes for easy releases and even easier cleaning sessions
- Comes with recipes and detailed instructions
- You can easily roll the hot cookies into ice cream cones, pastry cups, or cannoli shells
- Specially designed hinge systems help to produce those extra thin and crispy cookies that you have come to know and love
- Can only be washed by hand
If you’re looking for a small appliance that will speed up your impromptu pizzelle cooking sessions, be sure to check out the Salton Pizzelle Master. While the packaging on this petite cookie press needs an update, the device is as efficient and reliable as any other appliance. The automatic pizzelle maker produces two 4-inch cookies with each pressing. The cookies have an abstract design with a well-defined border. Home chefs agree that Salton-produced cookies are consistently thin and crispy.
While this pizzelle maker does not have a temperature dial, it does boast power and readiness indicator lights. Since the appliance is U.L.-listed, homeowners don’t have to question its electrical integrity. The rectangular interface is thin. As such, homeowners should have no trouble squeezing this appliance into storage.
The Salton’s thermostatically controlled heating makes for even browning. There are virtually no hot spots on the appliance’s cook plates. Moreover, the nonstick surfaces release food with ease. You should have no trouble cleaning this appliance after a productive cookie-making session.
- Space-saving design thanks to this appliance’s super compact rectangular interface
- Makes two cookies at a time
- Thermostatically controlled for more even heating and browning
- Nonstick cook plates for easier removal and cleanup
- LED power and ready indicator lights
- This UL-listed appliance is safe for household use.
- Unique surface design
- The design has lots of shallow nooks and crannies for thinner, crispier cookies.
- Outdated box makes for poor initial presentation (may not be the best gift for this reason)
The Vitantonio Pizzelle Chef 300 is a speedy little Italian-made pizzelle maker. While the appliance doesn’t come cheap, its gold-tinted stainless steel exterior is worth every penny. The pizzelle maker pumps out two intricate Italian cookies at a time. The preset heater is capable of producing a duo of cookies every 30 seconds.
The nonstick coating releases food with ease. The lengthy handles come together with the help of a thin metal clip. These small elements help the press to maintain its pressure. As a result, the cookies tend to come out incredibly thin and crispy.
- Bakes two pizzelle in less than 30 seconds
- Automatic temperature control
- Intricate dual-sided cookie pattern with scalloped edges
- Nonstick cook plate surface for easier removal and cleanup
- Chrome with metal plates
While the Nordic Ware Norwegian Krumkake Iron isn’t advertised as a pizzelle maker, it’s the perfect stovetop cookie press for these Italian favorites. The traditional Scandinavian design on the press looks lovely when it’s coated in a thin layer of powdered sugar. The pressed flowers, vines, and hearts give cookies lots of texture.
The press is made from warp-resistant cast aluminum. As such, it will need to be seasoned before use. It even comes with a wood rolling cone and a few recipe suggestions. The press sits on top of burner-sized iron. It can be lifted for easy food removal and cleaning. The wooden handles are a nice touch.
- Designed to make traditional Scandinavian cone cookies, but works as a pizzelle maker
- Fits on top of a traditional stove burner
- Made from warp-resistant cast aluminum
- Includes a wooden rolling cone and recipes
- Made in America
- Weighs just 2.79 pounds
- Not a traditional pizzelle maker
- Must be washed by hand
The MT Dist M&T Nonstick Pizzelle Maker is yet another amazing electric pizzelle maker. This appliance produces two traditional 5-inch pizzelle with each press. It works fast and is fairly consistent. However, some customers complained that it developed cool spots after a few uses.
We love intricate cookie pattern on the press. The gridded side ensures that this press can also be used to make delicious homemade ice cream cones.
- Makes traditional 5-inch Italian pizzelle
- Produces two cookies at a time
- Space saving upright storage
- Convenient one-handed opening and closing
- Food releases easy from the nonstick grid
- Waffle design on one side and a snowflake design on the other
- Some cool spots on the sides
If you’re looking for a change of pace, consider Palmer’s 75th-anniversary pizzelle maker. While first-time cookie makers might be better off with an electric cookie press, there’s no denying the pleasure you get from a quality stovetop alternative. This cast aluminum cookie maker will transport you from your kitchen to Italy. If you already have experience making homemade Italian cookies, you should find this one pretty easy to use.
The handle has a small wire clip on its end. This helps the press to maintain consistent internal pressure during cooking. Since the inside does not have a nonstick coating, it has to be seasoned before it is used. You’ll also have to take extra care when cleaning it.
Once you get used to this old school pizzelle maker, you’ll find that it works like a charm. The cast aluminum heats up fast and releases food easily. It’s a kitchen tool that is engineered to last a lifetime. As a bonus, your pizzelle will have a one-of-a-kind design on them.
- Produces two 5-inch cookies with 0.18-inch thickness
- Stovetop cast aluminum cook press
- 75th anniversary option with a unique pattern
- Easy to season
- Metal clip on the end of one handle assists in maintaining the press’s pressure
- You cannot use soap to clean the seasoned cooking plate, as it will remove the seasoning.
How to Choose the Best Pizzelle Makers
Are you still wondering what makes one pizzelle maker better than the next? Here are some key considerations you need to make before you can select the best pizzelle iron.
Are you looking for a particular pizzelle design? These traditional Italian cookies are defined by the designs that are pressed on their surfaces. Most irons boast traditional snowflake designs. However, some have more geometric waffle patterns. Some pizzelle maker manufacturers even let you customize your irons, adding monograms, sayings, and even names. An intricate pizzelle iron will undoubtedly improve the look of your cookies. The depth and intricacies of the cook plate designs also impact the texture of your cookies.
Are you an incessant baker or an occasional cook? These are the questions you need to ask yourself before you settle on a particular pizzelle iron. After all, these cookie presses can churn out anywhere from one to four cookies at a time. Their capacity and cooking times are going to determine how many cookies you can produce at any given time.
Do you your pizzelle on the crispier side? Either way, you are going to want to keep an eye out for pizzelle irons with multiple browning settings. A temperature control will enable you to dial in your desired browning setting. it will also make it easier for you to customize your cookie batches, churning out everything from chewy to crispy varieties.
Here’s what you need to know when choosing between cast aluminum plates and nonstick coatings. Cast aluminum cooking plates tend to feel more authentic. Ultimately, most home cooks agree that these cooking surfaces produce crispier, more golden-brown wafer cookies.
With that said, these cooking plates require a bit of initial maintenance. Most cast aluminum pizzelle makers do not come seasoned. Much like cast-iron pans and skillets, these metal surfaces need to be dosed in a generous amount of oil or fat before they can be considered usable. Once seasoned, these cooking surfaces release food easily.
Of course, nonstick coatings are good to go right out of the package. You can pour on the batter without having to worry about any becoming permanently affixed to the appliance. Unfortunately, nonstick coatings do not last forever. They are easily scratched and marked by metal utensils. As a result, these types of cooking appliances have limited lives.
What if we told you that some pizzelle makers can do more than produce amazing Italian cookies? If you have a wooden cone roller, you can easily convert those fresh baked cookies into homemade ice cream cones and pastry cups. Pizzelle makers with adjustable depths also make excellent waffle and pancake presses. Many manufacturers have made their pizzelle makers even more multifaceted. Removable cooking plates and other accessories enable home cooks to convert their beloved cookie makers into skillets, crepe makers, and much more. If you’re opposed to one-use-only appliances, don’t settle!
Wrapping Things Up
After looking at all sorts of cookie makers, we’re happy to say that the CucinaPro is the best pizzelle iron of 2021. This affordable, hardworking appliance has no trouble churning out dozens of tasty, golden-brown cookies. The aluminum cook plates distribute heat evenly, giving cookies the perfect mix of crunchiness and chewiness that most pizzelle enthusiasts desire. Do you have a favorite pizzelle maker or pizzelle recipe? Drop it in the comment section below! We look forward to hearing from you.